Deconstruction
Round Up:
Designing and Making:
This project was something completely new
to me, although I did textiles A level I am not used to deconstructing then
reconstructing garments, I found this project very challenging but very
enjoyable as I enjoy learning new things. When I was first given the brief I
was very confused with what to do, so I first of all created my muses, I
created around 10 then picked my final 5,creating my muses using collages
really helped me with the design process, I could tell what sort of person I
was designing for quite quickly.
My next step was to look at clothing I had
in my wardrobe that I could use, I wanted to create a colour scheme that would
suit my muse. I went with black and navy to create pieces that could be used
together to create outfits. I added texture with sequins. I used various different garments, to create
an interesting technique.
I first of all took apart all of the
garments I brought in, I used a quick unstitch so that I could easily take them
apart at the seams so that there would be a way to easily put with other
pieces. I started designing by pining my pieces onto a mannequin and seeing
what worked well together and what didn’t, I then drew out my design ideas,
this is also something I struggled with as I am not a strong drawer but, I
found it was the best way to get my idea across.
After designing my garments I safety pinned
the pieces together so I could maneuver the garment and see how it sat on a
person. This told me whether or not the idea was feasible and if it would fit
the body well. Some of my garments did work well however there was 1, which
didn’t work well so I had to rethink where I was going to put the
materials. To create a lot of different
shapes and create movement I gathered lots of my pieces and layered them up so
that I could create a lot of different designs when I paired my garments
together.
My photo-shoot:
The premise for my photo shoot was to be
snippets from a eccentric bloggers blog, so they would be “outfits of the day”
incorporating the garments I created. I wanted the photos to be very simplistic
so I went with a plain white background so that the garments. Hair and make up
would be the main focus.
Make Up Inspiration- I wanted to have a
bold lip and very heavy brows, like an exaggeration of the current trends.
Hair Inspiration- these were different for
each outfit, although I did want them all to be messy updos, which looked
stylish but could be worn, easily everyday.
Styling: the styling was focused around my
garments, so I went for basic base clothing and black shoes and in layered
outfit I decided to go for a very busy style so I added the highly decorative
bag, however in the black outfit I decided to keep it very simplistic, so I
went for all black and focused on the detail I created on the back of the top.
Evaluation:
If I was to redo this project I would like
to have done more experimentation with colour, I would like to see how it would
look in bright colours or with more textures like furs and velvet to create a
lot more depth to my designs.
I would also like to improve on my drawings
so that I could have created a collection of illustrations to go with my photo
shoot, as I feel that would look really effective next to the photographs.
I am pleased with how my final pieces and
photos came out especially as I was so nervous going into the project, due to
me being a promotion student instead of a design student, I did focus more on
the design element in this project rather than promotion so that I could see
how I worked with designing and to see if I was able to create designs and pieces
that worked well together.
No comments:
Post a Comment